Skip to content

Pattern Making! Skirt!

February 25, 2011

I didn’t mean to leave the post about my skirt for so long – a long weekend, family visiting, and (of course) crazy sickness meant I didn’t get back to the computer as fast as planned.

But! When last we spoke about pattern making, I had drafted a pattern for a basic A-line skirt and made (and remade) a muslin. With those two things in place I figured I was ready to go with my “real” fabric. Right? RIGHT?!?

Well, kind of.

I put the front of my skirt on my lovely corduroy fabric and cut it out – I added about 1″ of length to the bottom, because I was worried about it being too short.

All good! Now to cut out the back! Except…oh…darn.

See, I forgot that when I bought this fabric there wasn’t actually that much of it left – just under a yard, I think. And I thought that I had enough to do a shorter skirt. I *would* have had enough to do a skirt, except that (of course) the fabric was corduroy and so the direction mattered quite a bit. (I mean, I know it always does but I could probably/possibly/maybe have fudged something a little bit differently if it hadn’t been corduroy).

I blinked at my fabric for a few minutes and then saw the green bias tape sitting there that I’d bought to make the waistband….and I got an idea.

I took the front of my skirt that I’d already cut, and lopped three inches off the length. (Gulp. But anyway). Then I cut the back, also three inches shorter than the originally planned length. Then I cut two rectangles (one for the front and one for the back), five inches wide, with the corduroy going in the wrong direction.

I laid the pieces out together and laid a line of the green bias tape across the join to see the effect…..

I decided I was on to something and went with it!

I pieced sewed together the two front pieces and the two back pieces to make “full” skirt pieces and then went ahead and made the skirt – stitched the darts, stitched the side seam, put the zipper in and finished the other side seam, hemmed it, and finished the waistband with the bias tape. Then I circled the bias tape around the skirt at the join between the upper and lower fabric pieces.

I will pause here to say that I totally used a sharpie and some twill tape to make a tag for my skirt. I’m kind of a dork but I also kind of love it.

The first time I put my finished masterpiece on it…was somehow still too big. (What?!? HOWWWWW???). I fixed the problem most of the way by taking the back darts in a little further. I intend to fix the problem the rest of the way by eating more ice cream.

And here’s the finished product!

From the side…

…and from the back.

I think it came out really well; I’m actually completely delighted with it. Here you can see the opposite direction corduroy with the green line of bias tape.

It definitely wasn’t what was in my head when I started this project but I’m in love with the result. I can’t wait to make the next variation of the skirt! But I guess I have to be a little diplomatic and make something for my kids first. Good parenting and all of that. Stay tuned for more fun from Design It Yourself Clothes! (Seriously – awesome book. Am in love).

Advertisements
4 Comments leave one →
  1. February 25, 2011 11:26 pm

    *SO* cute. And please, eat some ice cream. And save some for me. (Not that I need it.) 🙂

  2. Suanne permalink
    February 26, 2011 6:19 pm

    Darling, Christy. Looks great on you.

  3. Angela Quesnel permalink
    February 27, 2011 4:37 pm

    Very cute! I love it!

Trackbacks

  1. Spring Top! « Pintuck

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: